Monday, April 11, 2005

Sun rise.. sun set

The sun was gorgeous yesterday as we drove from my sister's house to the hospital. We'd never been to this hospital before and the directions given by my brother in law were not correct. He wrote 30 E when it was 30 W and well.. anyway. Who can blame him? He looks ghastly and drawn, stubborn man trying to do the work of two people and not wanting to accept help. He is slowly beginning to realize he has to have help, but right now it is a pride thing.

We stopped at a gas station to ask for directions. I stayed in the car -- it is a 'man' thing, you know, and I try not to interfere. My spouse strode out of the establishment to the car, a muscle twitching in his cheek.

Uh oh... Never a good sign.

Seems like the guy he spoke to had a very strong accent and he didn't want to keep asking the guy to repeat himself and appear rude so he finally nodded as though he understood (he didn't understand a word the guy said!) and left.

So we head across the street to ANOTHER gas station. "Make sure you show the directions we already have given," I suggested ever so sweetly. "Maybe you'd like to come in and ask yourself!" he snarled. MMmm hmm. Time to shut up, I'd say.

He came back a few minutes later, and although the muscle twitched in his cheek still, a light of amusement shown in his eyes. It took three people til the cashier found someone who 'knew' where we were going. The man stood there and spoke through his decayed and broken teeth. "You pass the police barracks and turn .. " He paused tapping his right shoulder experimentally and taking his time thinking to make sure he knew which arm it was. "RIGHT."

Ohhh great.

Back we go and attempt to follow to no avail. This time however, we stopped at the visitor's center and before long, arrived at the hospital. It was four miles away from where we were. I don't know why natives had no idea where it was!

At any rate, I was able to see my sister, who remains hooked up to the ventilator. She did not awaken while I was there, but I left a message for her for Mom to read when she was more awake. The nurse ( a man about my age with graying long hair loosely braided and tied back into a ponytail) wandered in the room after I had been there about ten minutes and, with a raised eyebrow, asked me if I were a member of the family. I assured him I was, that I was her baby sister, as a matter of fact. I was surprised he didn't know I was there! I had walked in with my mother, walked the length of five rooms in front of the nurse's desk to get to my sister's room, yet he .. had.. no .. idea.. I .. was.. there.

Hmm. Makes you wonder what kinda care she gets, doesn't it.

Sad....

2 comments:

jotaeme said...

Tahkara:Why when reading the description of yours gone to the hospital to visit your sister, I soon made the analogy with the medical services of Portugal? It is lamentable that the people or medical staff and auxiliary, so are neglected! These people had to be in its functions for taste, for obligation.Unfortunately are not thus a little for this world. The improvements for your sister. Greetings for You!
Jorge

Takhara said...

I am sorry to hear that this is a relatively common occurance. It is amazing to me how much we pay for entertainment, how much we pay someone to take care of our FINANCES, yet we don't want to pay nurses any more than absolutely necessary. For a job that is both grueling and rewarding... and a task that most do not ever want to do themselves.