Monday, January 21, 2008

Mint Frappucino, anyone?

Today we actually had school, despite the fact that it was "Martin Luther King Day". I sometimes question our educational system and the values they deem as less important than I think they should. At any rate, a situation arose that necessitated my spouse and I to take the day off anyway, so, using my last personal day of the year (yikes.. half a school year to go yet!), off we went to spend some time with my sister.

There isn't much that she has any interest in eating right now, but I knew how much she likes Starbucks Frappucinos, and there just happened to be one on the way! It was in a "Target" store, a small little corner stand with the machines behind it. Somehow they managed to fit three young teenage workers in that tiny space. Being claustrophobic, it still makes me shudder to think of it.

No other customers were present so I sauntered up to place my order, having spoken to my brother in law already to know what Kathy would like. The girl behind the counter was perky and pretty, albeit a little vacant, but you know.. looking vacant doesn't actually mean you ARE, does it?

"Excuse me.. do you have mint frappucinos?" (For those wondering, that is my sister's favorite flavor, so don't fuss at me, it is after all, her preference, not mine!)

A little hair twirling, a pop of gum... a glance at the two girls behind her who smiled to encourage her.

"Uhm.. no." She paused as she turned back to ponder my order, and I swear smoke came from her ears. "We only have peppermint."

Now in many ways I am a most patient person. I deal with whining kids at the grade schools (you'd be amazed at what an ice pack can cure) and manipulative teens at the high school (yes it was aeons ago since I was a teenager, dammit, but I didn't suffer anmesia, and yes, I know you have a party tonight so NO you can't go home early, GET BACK TO CLASS!)but one thing that I struggle with is being patient with stupidity. Is not peppermint... mint??!

"Great! Peppermint will be fine! and can you make it decaf as well?"

Again the vacant look, the popping of gum... glance at the two girls behind her.

"Uhm, ok."

The three suddenly move into action, one squirting something here, another dumping something there. How they managed to do anything in that tiny space was beyond me, but they did! And before long they were putting the lid on my order and I lifted my hand to take it...

--as the girl walked to the tiny counter about two feet away from me, plopped down the drink and announced at the top of her lungs "Peppermint Frappucino, ready to go!"

I gave an incredulous glance around the tiny alcove, in which there was no one else but myself and my spouse.. scooped up the drink and left.

When we got to Kathy's, she was waiting for her frappucino, and gave a big satisfied sigh at her first sip. I instantly forgave the irritations caused by three young girls, bored out of their minds and forced to work on a holiday because their school districts deigned the day worthy to be off.

No comments: