Yes, folks, I am making a trek to Alaska come August. Not on a cruise along the ocean where I can view whales and see ice and ... uh.. stuff.
nooooo.
I am going to accompany my husband on a mission trip to a little camp called Echo Ranch, where we will get eaten alive by Alaska's state bird (the natives jokingly refer to the mosquito as their state bird) and slave away using my newly gained power tools skillz...
And no, dammit, I am not some religious zealot ready to spread the word of God to barbaric natives living in igloos. I am instead, a wife intent on making her spouse smile.
My husband worked at this camp as a teen, and he has always had a desire to return. Early this spring, he was contacted by the guy (damn him) who took his group of kids to the camp in ... uh... geez. must have been '78 or '79 (geezer that I am) and asked if he wanted to return. Now, my spouse has always stated how he wished he could show me Alaska and where he had been.
When he first approached me about it, I said NO WAY. I am not going!! (I have this fetish against bugs -- I love being outdoors and camping and all -- as long as there are conquerable bugs. HAVE YOU SEEN THE PICTURE OF ALASKA'S MOSQUITOS!!! They could be the newest biological weapon, if the natives took the time to train them in 'maneuvours')
And then our world fell apart with my sister's diagnosis and I could no longer say no to a lifelong dream my spouse has, because who knows what tomorrow brings? So... even though I don't really want to go, to please HIM... I am going.
Armed to the teeth with OFF! deep woods. And all to spread good will. Or something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I wish you good luck with the bugs. I looked at their pics and they're BIG! I'm sure though that you'll have fun with your husband. Don't forget to post some pictures!
Post a Comment