Every now and again, something happens to reaffirm to me that I am involved in something worthwhile, following my chosen vocation. Most people are aware that being in the education field often means a person leaves behind the chance to become wealthy, yet in so doing, the ability to impact young lives, either in a positive or negative way, is inevitable.
Willie was someone that I have always liked. I first got to know him when he entered the high school in 7th grade. A handsome kid, he managed to walk the fine line between being bad.. and just being squirrely. I saw him for medication needs in the school quite frequently, and he was one of those kids that knew how to charm and manipulate himself into almost anyone's good graces. You couldn't help but like the kid!
He was also able to do this to his mother, a woman I had the opportunity to speak with multiple times on the phone in regards to his truancy issues or his 'sick' days, which often amounted to around 30 days throughout the school year.
Willie was a gifted musician. Even as an 8th and 9th grader, you quickly became aware that music was his life. Forever tapping a drum sequence on the desk, stealing away to the auditorium to pilfer a naughty half hour playing the grand piano therein, or getting out a guitar during lunch, he had the 'gift', and there was no denying it.
I think I first became aware of his drug problem when he entered his junior year in high school. His music had begun to suffer somewhat, not that he seemed to notice, but his pinpoint pupils and vague expression as well as an unusual tiredness, were all symptoms I could not ignore. He was entered into our 'students at risk' program, but it was not until he was arrested for marijuana possession that things began to be more dire. Forced into mandatory drug counseling and probation, Willie had to face the fact that he had a drug problem.
I can remember talking to Willie after he had gotten clean. He looked like the Willie of old, handsome, charming, effusive about his music -- and I asked him what kept him clean now. He just looked me in the eye. "Probation," he said, and laughed. He then became much more thoughtful. "I didn't realize how I was ruining my music," he said. "Pot traps you by making you feel good about yourself. No matter how poorly I was performing under the influence, I always thought I was doing great. Once I became clean, I realized there was a lot I had to work on."
A pretty sobering thought for a 17 year old to share, doncha think? He was able to bring his grades up enough to graduate, and even sang and played his own accompaniment to a song he had written for graduation, at graduation. He was given a standing ovation, and I cried.
Today I had the opportunity to stop in the lunch room and see a bunch of kids cloistered around a table. Walking over to see what all the fuss was about, I was surprised to see Willie! He had let his hair grow long, and to be honest, he sort of looked like the protestant view of Jesus. He was sitting there with a friend of his - the other vocalist in his group -- and they were selling his first ever, cut CD! I of course bought one -- cajoled him into giving me a hug and he and his partner out of their signatures -- and have been listening to this CD all evening.
No, the vocals are not perfect. But the music is simply beautiful. Do they have things to work on? Sure. But you know what?? They are not bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment