has to be one of my most favorite types of restaurants to visit. No, not because of the abundance of food portions, but rather, the selection. I like almost all kinds of Chinese foods, and I have a hard time deciding what to order when I do have the opportunity to do so. I used to visit China House Buffet quite often with Ang, but since her marriage is faltering, I rarely hear from her. (Mainly because she is the one screwing around, and thusly, knows I won't be supportive of what she persists in doing). My spouse doesn't like Chinese so if I am in the mood for it, it means I am dining alone.
Tonight I had this craving for Chinese food, and so I went to the local buffet, ready to peruse and sample the varieties cooked therein. Upon entering the store, I lost some of my appetite.
No, it was not the food, which glowed decoratively upon the various hot plates, freshly made and steaming, the aroma rising to float fragently to my nostrils as I crossed the threshold. Nor was it the waitress, who flustered around the bar, refilling the food so quickly consumed whilst chattering in Chinese for the cooks to cook faster. (Or at least I assumed that was what she was saying!)
Rather, I lost my appetite as I gazed around the various tables and saw the European vision of what most Americans must be viewed as. People, jowls glistening with grease and jiggling as mass quantities of foodstuffs were noisily consumed. Tables with three sitting at it and piles of dirtied plates pushed hastily to the side in the eagerness for another. The noisome sounds of wet lips smacking, mouths chewing, and the occasional grunt of appreciation... And all the while, the slim waitress scurrying between tables, desperately trying to remove the dirtied plates whilst keeping the bar supplied with clean ones as well as enough food to qualify us all as royalty as we supped.
I hastily picked up my 'take out buffet plate', applying moderate portions of various entrees before I paid my fee and quickly left the store.
I don't know why it bothered me so much tonight, but it was most repulsive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ugh... :(
Post a Comment