Monday, March 21, 2005

A new addition to our bird family

We bought a new male Cockatiel Saturday. For all you phallic minded people, a cockatiel is a BIRD. We have four others, and this one was very much a spontaneous purchase. He is the first bird we have ever gotten from a pet store. I have always avoided birds from petstores because of the possibility of disease and because often much is promised and little is truthful.

However.

I know a lot about these beautiful birds and after walking into the store, made a quick observation that this lil one was indeed male (something I needed in my flock) and was quite social. He was singing to anything and anyone that looked at him.

The sign on the cage promised he was 'handfed' but petstores take giant liberties with that phrase. However -- we decided to handle him and see how it went.

Subsequent holding of bird necessitated immediate purchase.

So our flock has grown by one, and even as I sit here and type this, little Skitch is singing his wee heart out. He is quarantined from the other birds right now, although he can see them. He is already trying to woo the ladies. -- Typical male!

I have a lot of interests, I guess. This is just one I haven't blogged about yet. I will put pics of my wee babies up maybe tonight. :)

1 comment:

Mathieu said...

Yes, yes, more Cockatiel pictures :)